Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Learning Tagalog

I have been learning tagalog for some time..but only find myself an intermediate level. I understand a lot more than I can express. I think most of this comes from watching The Filipino Channel (TFC). I currently watch the dramas (Only You and Tayong Dalawa), as well as WOWOWEE and Game Ka Na Ba. I also look forward to MMK on Saturday.
I have taken formal Tagalog classes in college (levels A, B, and C). I have most improved when I began using Rosetta Stone. I really like Rosetta Stone because it associates the word with a picture instead of an english translation.
Since we bought a home in the Philippines (Antipolo), I really want to improve my Tagalog.
I try to get my partner and my partner's family to speak to me in Tagalog but for some reason they still chose to speak to me in english. Even when I ask over and over again.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you're learning. I'm thinking about picking up Rosetta Stone. I'm half Filipino half Irish and I grew up in Alameda, CA speaking English. Like you I can understand more than I can speak, but I'm looking to change that. I took classes here in NY, but have no one to speak to so it hasn't stuck. Good luck on your quest. I'll be rooting for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New languages is always a wonderful thing to learn and teach your children...ha look at that I sounded like I know multiple languages and teach my kids. pfft.

    I do plan on picking up a rosetta stone and we plan this year to start pushing more language on the kids other then the few basic spanish words I have taught them. I used to be fluent in spanish, it was something I spoke most the time as a child but once I got a bit older and started living with my mother again I lost it all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    Been meaning to post a comment though I wonder if this blog is still active. On the comment about Filipinos not speaking back to you in Tagalog. It's a colonial thing. I'm full blooded Filipino and raised in the U.S. I speak perfect English. But when I speak "pidgeon" Tagalog to them, they answer in English. English is the "higher" language. I've been so frustrated with this, because unless you're in a formal Tagalog classroom setting, the best practice is with the native speakers.

    ReplyDelete