Monday, July 20, 2009

No Paul, not Fifteen, Pippen!

If any of you know anything about the filipino accent, you will know that there really is no F sound in Tagalog. All of their FFFFFFF sounds like PPPPPP.

About 1 year into my relationship with my filipino partner. We had brought out his two brothers from the Philippines. One was 18 and the other was 8. His mom was already living with us at the time. We decided to take the 8 year old shopping and his mom and two brothers and a cousin went with us. The little 8 year old was looking for a basketball jersey. Thinking I know what they were looking for, I said, "I found it, here it is". I held up a jersey that said "15". My partner said, "No Paul, not Pipteen, it's Pippen" Then he spelled the name of the basket ball player "P I P P E N".

So when I heard them say Pippen, It sounded like this "Pipeeeen". Which I translated to Fifteen. Then I heard them chuckle and say something in tagalog.
My partner asked me, "do you know how many times I can say your name in one sentence?"..I said no, how many?

"Pool (paul), don't paul(fall), you might paul(fall) in de swimming Paul(pool)"

No comments:

Post a Comment